1- Project Approval Items: First a decision is made to perform a project or not. This involves a business case, make or buy decision and analyzing the costs vs benefits. For approval, to my knowledge, the things that need to get approved before a project is executed are: The work scope, appropriation, drawings and specifications, requisition, HASP, and the contracts between the buyer and sellers. You can also count in any necessary permits required.

2- Project Life Cycle: Stages of project from initiation to completion are as follows:

A) Initiation
B) Planning
C) Execution
D) Monitoring & Controlling
E) Closing

During initiation stage, the items I counted in question 1 can be considered. The biggest item here is to produce the plans and specifications, which is a relatively long process.

During the planning stage, a project schedule is produced and a baseline of scope and budget are saved. We can also consider the discussions between the buyer and seller about how the job will be conducted among the planning items. Per PMP Manual, there are also other items such as Plan Quality, Develop Human Resource Plan, Plan Communications, Plan for Risks however most of the time these processes are included within the items I mentioned or some of them are procedures of a company, so far in my experience with Construction Companies and here.

During the execution phase, the project deliverables are produced to achieve the project objectives. Whether the work is being done in-house or by the seller, the required resources that were planned before are utilized to perform the project activities. This is the stage that requires the most resources and costs.

Monitoring and controlling: This stage actually happens all the time when we like to check the progress versus the planned work such as baseline. I will mention items here in the last question.

Closing Stage: At this stage the project is formally closed. The scope is verified for completeness and meeting the required specifications and formally accepted by the buyer. The resources that were performing the project activities and the project team are gradually released from project. The specified closeout items are prepared, which depends on the project. For example in construction projects, as built drawings, Owner’s manuals of equipment, required training to the owner can be counted among these. The project accounts are also formally closed, and the claims on the project are settled between the buyer and the seller.

3- Project Reports and Metrics:

The monthly cost reports: This is used for communicating to management where we are in the project as far as cost and our cost projections into the future. The overall and paid portion of costs as well as the outstanding change orders are taken into account.

Schedule and cost progress reports: These involve comparing where we are in comparison to the baseline that was established at the start of the project. An Earned Value analysis should be done, by determining the amount of portion of work that has been completed vs. planned value so that we can determine the schedule and cost variances.

Other reports: There are many types of reports that can be produced in order to measure the progress and communicate it to the management.